Modafinil is a prescription medication that’s made in order to help people who suffer from wakefulness problems. This means people who suffer from narcolepsy and other serious sleeping conditions that make it hard for them to stay awake and alert. In some cases Modafinil can also be used in order to treat people who have chronic fatigue syndrome.
Modafinil is the generic name for the brand name Provigil, which some people might recognize more due to how heavily it’s marketed. In fact, the drug is very popular not just due to its ability to help fight wakefulness problems, but to assist with superior concentration and focus.
Does Modafinil help to treat the underlying cause of a wakefulness issue?
Understand that while Modafinil works well at what it does, it’s not designed to treat the underlying issue that can be causing a wakefulness problem. The underlying issue that’s the source of a wakefulness problem needs to be diagnosed and properly treated in order to ensure it doesn’t become something worse.
Just how serious should a wakefulness problem be in order to warrant use of this medication?
If you suffer from narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), or shift work disorder, then you would qualify for use of this treatment. Although a doctor would need to look at you in order to determine if there are other options before resorting to prescription drug use. Your problem should be one that qualifies as excessive in order for this drug to be right for you.
If a doctor decides that this treatment is right for you, then what is the best dosage to take in order to ensure effectiveness?
Modafinil isn’t known to be extremely addictive, but this doesn’t mean people can’t become addicted to how well it works for them and how it makes them feel. A doctor will usually decide to prescribe people a dosage of about 200 mg a day, taken through the mouth as a lone dose. You would typically be taking this in the morning.
What are some of the more high probability side effects you might experience if you use Modafinil?
- back pain
- feeling anxious
- trouble sleeping
- feeling nervous
- stuffy nose
- upset stomach
What are some of the lower probability side effects you might experience if you use Modafinil?
- Serious rashes or serious allergic reactions
- mental (psychiatric) symptoms (depression, feeling anxious, hearing, seeing, feeling, or sensing things that are not really there (hallucinations), an extreme increase in activity and talking (mania), thoughts of suicide, aggressive behavior, other mental problems
- symptoms of heart problems, including chest pain, abnormal heartbeat, and trouble breathing
What are some of the other benefits users might experience if they start using Modafinil on a consistent basis?
Modafinil is so popular because of the positive side effects people don’t expect when they start using it. Yes, it helps you to stay awake, but with this come other benefits. Here’s a short list:
- A superior ability to concentrate and not just deeply, but for sustained periods of time. The ability to concentrate for long periods of time is the reason why some people have referred to Modafinil as a smart drug. Some college students use it in order to help them cram for exams or remember large amounts of information.
- A higher feeling of energy. This is experienced as increased motivation. For someone who might be suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome they’ll find it hard to get up and be productive. Use of Modafinil has been known to not only increase how productive someone is, but it also leads to them taking on bigger projects that they never would have due to low energy.
- Having an easier time listening to people, this will help you to be more engaged. Anyone who suffers from a wakefulness problem knows how hard it can be to listen to someone for a long period of time. Even doing small things such as calling someone on the phone can be tough. Modafinil helps with this and makes it easier to take care of important matters.
- Helping you to have an easier time thinking clearly and being able to put together plans. People who suffer from a wakefulness problem find that being foggy minded comes with the territory. Use of this medications helps to clear up your mind so you can think in a much more constructive way than what you were before. This also helps to increase productivity, motivation and an overall feeling of wellness.
Is it ever safe to use Modafinil for any other condition rather than what it’s meant to be used for?
Even though a lot of people use this treatment recreationally, especially a lot of college students, it’s not recommended. Firstly, you never know if the drug is going to work for you the right way due to other medications you might be taking. Plus there’s a chance that depending on other medications you’re using you can experience an increased risk of side effects.
If you experience side effects of any sort, then for the most part these should go away after a short while. The side effects of using this drug typically come as a result of your body needing some time to grow accustomed to it being present. Once this happened the side effects should subside in terms of severity and the overall number. If this doesn’t happen, then you would need to contact a doctor right away in order to see what’s wrong.
Is Modafinil meant to be used on a permanent basis or is it just meant to be used in the short term?
Your wakefulness problem is likely caused by some form of underlying issue that needs to be addressed in order for your overall condition to improve. Use of this drug is just meant to treat the wakefulness issue you have as a result, which would be excessive.
If your underlying issue isn’t treated, than it can become worse, leading to an increased issue with wakefulness to the point where even Modafinil might not be affective. So you would certainly want to be in touch with a doctor about getting help for the underlying cause of your issue. In the meantime the benefits of taking this drug are solid and likely will help to boost a person’s quality of life. Users will just need to make sure they stick with the dosage they were given and not abuse the drug.